Archaeopteryx Software, Inc. Announces Plans to Support Mac OS X for the Wing IDE Product Line
Brookline, MA -- February 5th, 2002
Archaeopteryx Software announced today plans to add support for the Mac OS X platform for the entire Wing IDE product line.
The Mac OS X version of Wing IDE will utilize the XDarwin server software. All product levels of Wing IDE, including Wing IDE Lite and Wing IDE Standard, will be available for Mac OS X. A preliminary port exists, and the product is expected to be available for release by Spring 2002.
"We're excited to offer Wing IDE to the Mac OS X development community. Wing is a great way to take advantage of Python's unique mixture of simplicity, power, and scalability. Wing's convenient integrated tool set really helps programmers to work faster and better. We've seen this benefit ourselves, because we use Wing every day in our own development," said Archaeopteryx Software's co-founder, Stephan Deibel.
Key features of Wing IDE Standard include:
- Module and class-oriented code browsing and source structure analysis, including inferencing of probable data types for Python source constructs.
- Powerful source code editor, including syntax highlighting, auto-completion, source index menu, goto-definition, structural folding, auto-indentation, indentation guides and conversion facilities, multi-part key bindings, and keyboard/command macros.
- Full graphical debugger, including an interactive shell to examine and modify data in the program being debugged
- Ability to debug remote processes, including web CGIs and Zope products.
- Support for debugging programs written with Tkinter, PyGtk, and wxWindows
- Software project manager
- Interactive Python shell
- Many customization options
- Access to product source code
Wing IDE Lite omits some of these features, and is for non-commercial use only.
A single user license for Wing IDE for Mac OS X will cost $179 US (Standard) and $35 US (Lite). CD media will cost an additional $30. Each license includes free website and email support and upgrades through the 1.x version series. Volume discounts, and paid support are also available.
A free trial, additional information, and online store are available at www.wingide.com.