Brookline, MA -- January 21, 2003
Archaeopteryx Software announced today release of Wing IDE for Python version 1.1.8, a maintenance release for its popular software development productivity environment.
Wing IDE is a powerful software development environment that focuses on boosting programmer productivity and enhancing software maintainability. Wing IDE and Python excel in the rapid development of complex web sites and desktop applications, typically yielding 2-10 times the development speed seen with languages such as C, C++, Java, VB, and Perl.
Wing IDE 1.1.8 introduces a number of enhancements to the debugger, making it easier to debug code that reloads Python modules at runtime. Several general product enhancements were also made.
Wing IDE supports web development with Zope, Plone, CGI, Apache mod_python, and a number of other tools. Wing can also be used for cross-platform GUI development with PyQt, wxPython, Tkinter, and PyGTK. Game development with pygame, and general purpose scripting, including embedded application scripting, are all supported as well.
In September 2001, InformIT called Wing IDE "a real power tool to use for the development and debugging of complex Python applications."
Key features of Wing IDE include:
- Module and class-oriented code browsing and source structure analysis
- Goto-definition, auto-completion, and source index menu on source code
- Powerful source code editor with syntax highlighting, structural folding, auto-indentation, indentation guides and conversion facilities, and many other features
- Graphical debugger, including an interactive shell to examine and modify data in the program being debugged
- Web development with Zope, Plone, CGI, Apache mod_python and other tools
- Extensive support libraries for XML, Web services, and access to a range of internet protocols
- GUI development using PyQt, wxPython, Tkinter, and PyGtk
- Ability to debug remote processes
- Software project manager
- Interactive command shell
- Many customization options
- Access to product source code
Wing IDE runs on Windows 98 through XP and Intel Linux (2.x kernel, libc6). Mac OS X support is available in beta form. Solaris and FreeBSD are supported for customers willing to compile the product from source code (requires a non-disclosure agreement).
Wing IDE is available in both a full-featured Standard edition and a Lite edition. Wing IDE Lite omits some of the features listed above and is for non-commercial use only.
A single-user license for Wing IDE costs $149-$179 US (Standard edition) and $35 US (Lite edition). The software is obtained by download but optional CD media is available for an additional $20. Each license includes free website and email support, and free minor release upgrades. Volume discounts and paid support packages are also available.
A free trial, additional information, and online store are available at www.wingide.com.