Wing IDE 1.1.4 for Python - Write Software Faster
Brookline, MA -- May 3rd, 2002
Archaeopteryx Software announced today version 1.1.4, the latest maintenance release for Wing IDE for Python.
Wing IDE is a powerful software development environment that focuses on boosting programmer productivity and enhancing software maintainability. Wing IDE and Python excel in the rapid development of complex web sites and desktop applications, typically yielding 2-10 times the development speed seen with languages such as C, C++, Java, VB, and Perl.
"I have been programming since 1976, and have been using Wing just about every single day for almost a year. In my opinion, Wing is the only real choice for serious Python work, and worth at least 2 or 3 times the cost. Attention to support issues, both related to the product and to making it work with diverse environments, like GUI event-loops, has been quick and accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone," said Jeff Sasmor, independent software developer.
Key features of Wing IDE include:
- Module and class-oriented code browsing and source structure analysis
- Powerful source code editor, including syntax highlighting, auto- completion, source index menu, goto-definition, structural folding, auto-indentation, indentation guides and conversion facilities, multi-part key bindings, and keyboard/command macros
- Graphical debugger, including an interactive shell to examine and modify data in the program being debugged
- Ability to debug remote processes, including web CGIs and Zope web application server products
- Extensive support libraries for internet protocols and data handling
- GUI development using Tkinter, PyGtk, wxWindows, and pyqt
- Software project manager
- Interactive command shell
- Many customization options
- Access to product source code
Wing IDE runs on Windows 98/NT/2K/XP and Intel Linux (2.x kernel, libc6), and is available in both a full-featured Standard edition and a Lite edition. Wing IDE Lite omits some of the features listed above and is for non-commercial use only.
A single-user license for Wing IDE costs $149-$179 US (Standard edition) and $35 US (Lite edition). The software is obtained by download but optional CD media is available for an additional $10. Each license includes free website and email support, and upgrades through the 1.x version series. Volume discounts and paid support packages are also available.
A free trial, additional information, and online store are available at www.wingide.com.