Wingware has released version 3.1.6 of Wing IDE, a bugfix release for all three product levels.
This release includes the following:
- Added previously missing support for x64 Python on Windows
- Avoid auto-starting batch searches when a project is opened
- Several vi mode fixes
- Added 'watch' item to editor context menu
- Recognize type of 'x' in 'from x import y'
- Allow debugger to start even if replacing sys.stdin fails
- Store list of test files in shared project file (*.wpr)
The release also includes about 16 other minor bug fixes; see the change log for details.
About Wing IDE
Wing IDE is an integrated development environment for the Python programming language. It provides powerful debugging, editing, code intelligence, testing, and search capabilities that reduce development and debugging time, cut down on coding errors, and make it easier to understand and navigate Python code.
Wing IDE is available in three product levels: Wing IDE Professional is the full-featured Python IDE, Wing IDE Personal offers a reduced feature set at a low price, and Wing IDE 101 is a free simplified version designed for teaching entry level programming courses with Python.
System requirements are Windows 2000 or later, OS X 10.3.9 or later for PPC or Intel (requires X11 Server), or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit). Wing IDE 3.1 supports Python versions 2.0.x through 2.5.x.
New Features in Wing 3.1
This release adds the following features not found in Wing 3.0.x:
- Support for zip archives
- Support for pkg_resources name spaces and eggs
- Support for doctest and nose style unit tests (*)
- Scan for sys.path changes such as those used in buildout
- How-To and support for Google App Engine
- Inline context appropriate templates/snippets integrated with autocompleter (*)
- Word list driven auto-completion in non-Python files (**)
- Quick navigation to files and symbols by typing a fragment (**)
- Improved support for Stackless Python
- Preference to strip trailing white space on save
- Display gi_running and gi_frame for generators
- Improved code analysis for Python 2.5
- Other minor features and bug fixes not found in Wing 3.0.x
(*)'d items are available in Wing IDE Professional only. (**)'d items are available in Wing IDE Personal or Professional only. Please see the change log for a detailed list of changes.
Wing IDE Professional and Wing IDE Personal are commercial software and require a license to run. A free trial license can be obtained directly from the product when launched.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Wing 3.1 is a free upgrade for all Wing IDE 3.0 and 3.1 users. Any 2.x license sold after May 2nd 2006 is free to upgrade; others cost 1/2 the normal price to upgrade.