Wing IDE 2.1.0-rc2 Released: June 9, 2006
We're pleased to announce the the second release candidate of Wing IDE 2.1 for Windows, Linux, and OS X. This release can be downloaded from http://wingware.com/downloads. Highlights of Wing IDE 2.1 include:
- Visual Studio, VI/Vim, and Brief key bindings
- Subversion and Perforce support (+)
- Search in selection
- Easier to configure Tab key
- Auto-completion also for extension modules
- Improved auto-completion for wxPython and PyGTK
- Named bookmarks (+)
- Redesigned and improved search tools
- Breakpoint manager (+) and call stack as list
- Folding and breakpoint margins context menu (right click)
- Improved long string display for debugger
- Character, line, and block select modes
- Folding commands for top level classes/defs in Python code
- Syntax highlighting for additional languages
- Evaluate file or selection in Python Shell
- Print selection
- PDF formatted documentation
- Support for Intel Macs
- Support for Python 2.5 alpha1
- Support for 64 bit Linux debugging
- Add New File feature for projects
- Automatic patch/update manager
- Improved black background display theme
- Maximize editor surface toggle (Shift-F2)
- Hundreds of bug fixes and minor improvements
(+) These are available in Wing IDE Pro only
- The OS X version is now distributed as disk images -- just drag and drop from the image contents to install
- Debugger status is now in the bottom left of the window and shows a popup menu when clicked on
- New Tab Key Action preference requires removing any keyboard binding override for 'tab'
- The black background display theme Aero has been removed and replaced with Black-Background, requiring reselecting from the Display Theme preference.
A complete list of changes is available.
This is a release candidate and may contain some minor bugs. Please report any problems or make suggestions for improvements to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Version 2.1 is a free upgrade for Wing version 2.0 users; any license for the 2.x series will work with both. Version 2.1 can co-exist with 2.0. Although they share the same configuration files, it is possible to switch back and forth between them on the same system.
System requirements are Windows 2000 or later, OS X 10.3.9 or later for PPC or Intel (requires X11 Server), or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit).