Wing IDE 1.1.6 for Python Adds Streamlined Zope Web Development Support
Brookline, MA -- September 23, 2002
Archaeopteryx Software announced today version 1.1.6, the latest release of Wing IDE for Python. This release adds new, easier-to-use debugger support for programmers using the popular Zope application server and content management system for web development. Wing IDE is now also available for compilation from source code on Solaris and FreeBSD (requires non-disclosure agreement). Several general product enhancements were also made.
Wing IDE is a powerful software development environment that focuses on boosting programmer productivity and enhancing software maintainability. Wing IDE and Python excel in the rapid development of complex web sites and desktop applications, typically yielding 2-10 times the development speed seen with languages such as C, C++, Java, VB, and Perl.
In March 2001, Linux Format called Wing IDE "a solid suite of tools that will turbo-charge your Python development."
Key features of Wing IDE include:
- Module and class-oriented code browsing and source structure analysis
- Powerful source code editor, including syntax highlighting, auto- completion, source index menu, goto-definition, structural folding, auto-indentation, indentation guides and conversion facilities, multi-part key bindings, and keyboard/command macros
- Graphical debugger, including an interactive shell to examine and modify data in the program being debugged
- Ability to debug remote processes, including web CGIs and Zope web application server products
- Extensive support libraries for internet protocols and data handling
- GUI development using Tkinter, PyGtk, wxWindows, and pyqt
- Software project manager
- Interactive command shell
- Many customization options
- Access to product source code
Wing IDE runs on Windows 98 through XP and Intel Linux (2.x kernel, libc6). Mac OS X support is available in beta form. Solaris and FreeBSD are supported for customers willing to compile the product from source code.
Wing IDE is available in both a full-featured Standard edition and a Lite edition. Wing IDE Lite omits some of the features listed above and is for non-commercial use only.
A single-user license for Wing IDE costs $149-$179 US (Standard edition) and $35 US (Lite edition). The software is obtained by download but optional CD media is available for an additional $20. Each license includes free website and email support, and free minor release upgrades. Volume discounts and paid support packages are also available.
A free trial, additional information, and online store are available at www.wingide.com.