[wingide-users] .py vs .pyw extension

Chris O'Halloran cmoman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:44:13 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I'm running Wingware 5.0.3-1 Pro version on my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop

While I develop at home I use the software on my Windows 8 machine at
work.  I use the .pyw extension because it avoids the console being
displayed while running my PyQt apps.

I'm a novice programmer but a long time user of Linux.I use git and github
to share my software to and from work.  I mention all this in case this is
related to the following. I'm aware git does some clever things with
Windows and Linux line ends so that they don't show up as differences

In Wingware I find the syntax highlighting does not work as expected for
.pyw extensions and I'm not sure how to fix this.  There is some mention in
the wingware changelog in 2002 about it being now recognised as a python
file but nothing recent.

Here is a screenshot showing a comparison of exactly the same file, ie
copied using SaveAs.  You'll see the .py file has the default syntax
highlighting whereas the .pyw file only has one or two things highlighted.

http://photos.blahdeblah.co.nz/wingware/wingware_pyw_py_syntax_highlighting.png

I've even added pyw to the list of python files and this doesn't seem to
work either.

http://photos.blahdeblah.co.nz/wingware/wingware_pyw_py_syntax_highlighting1.png

Cheers,

Chris