[wingide-users] Command line switch on Windows on Wing 5

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Mon Jan 20 15:39:41 EST 2014

This topic has been brought up before, but it's starting to bother me again:
When I click on a MyProject.wpr file, Wing clobbers whatever I'm working on and
loads that new project. This would seem to badly violate the rule of "least
surprise" and "first, do no harm". I want it to bring up a new instance for
that project and not clobber my current stuff. I frequently need to look at 2
projects side-by-side to compare or copy code.

All it takes to make this work, er, properly is the addition (the '--new' part)
below in the Windows registry:

   [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WingIDE.Project\shell\open\command]
   @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Wing IDE 5.0\\bin\\wing.exe\" \"%1\" --new"

   [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WingIDE.Project\shell\Open with Wing IDE 5.0\command]
   @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Wing IDE 5.0\\bin\\wing.exe\" \"%1\" --new"

And I don't mind so much making those additions manually *once*, but it seems
they have to be re-done every time I install a new release of Wing. Which,
thankfully, is fairly often.

Could we please, pretty-please make the Windows installer add the --new to the
end of those lines?

Thanks for all you do,
Michael Hipp