[wingide-users] Main advantages - update 4.1 to 5.x

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jan 17 15:12:38 EST 2014

Milton Ribeiro wrote:
> I have a license of WIDE 4.1; It its working fine, but I would like to
> know the main advantage of update it to 5.x

The changes in 5.0 are summarized at
http://wingware.com/wingide/whatsnew -- The biggest thing was moving
Wing from GTK to Qt, which makes the GUI native on OS X and should avoid
some of the problems Wing 4 runs into on newer Linux and Windows
versions.  Other reasons to upgrade might include wanting to use Python
3.4 or Django 1.6, wanting Named Entry Points as a way to more easily
set up multiple debug configurations for a single source file, wanting
the new optional editor mode where the list of open files can differ by
split, wanting the latest vi mode, auto-editing, and turbo completion
mode fixes (at this point bug fixes are going into Wing 5 and not Wing
4), and a few other things.

Because moving to Qt was so much work there are not a lot of major new
features in 5.0.  We're now back to working on features for 5.1+.