[wingide-users] wingide-users Digest, Vol 118, Issue 13

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Wed Feb 26 14:37:56 EST 2014

On 2/26/2014 11:12 AM, diliup gabadamudalige wrote:
> Hi helpful Wing IDE user/expert/developer,
>
> I am not quite used to version control systems. The way that I know is a
> simple incremental saving system which i'm used to from a long time ago. I
> tried to use the version control system but the way I understood it is mainly
> for a lot of people editing the same file. Can any one out there please help
> me with a simple step by step guide as to how I can use this method do to
> incremental saving on the python project that i'm doing using wing IDE pro..
> The project has three files and each one need to be saved occasionally when
> ever i do a serious edit. There is no one else involved in editing. It's only
> me. I am not very good with command line stuff. Any help would be
> appreciated. I watched some videos on version control systems but couldn't
> figure out how it was done on Wing IDE. Please pardon my ignorance and help.

Some will disagree but I don't think VCS is the right tool for what you're
wanting to do. The rule for VCS is "commit only when you have something worthy
to commit", not IMHO just when you just want to save a checkpoint in a file's life.

What I do is keep my development projects in DropBox* or similar cloud sync
service. I edit my merry way. If I need to go back to an earlier version,
DropBox will have it available (for a while). This sort of assumes that needing
that old version is more rare than routine. (If routine, I'd be curious to know
what you're doing.)

I do all this along with git, but only commit when I've made a change that is
finished and tested.

I miss the versioned file system we had on VAX/VMS back in the day.

Michael