[wingide-users] Tkinter and WingIDE 5

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Feb 19 09:59:35 EST 2014

barefootedbandit wrote:
> I'm trying to run even the simplest Tkinter program in WingIDE 5 (Python
> 2.7). This code, for example:
>
> *import Tkinter
>
> def main():
>      root = Tkinter.Tk()
>      root.mainloop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>      main()*
>

> When I run this in Wing I get nothing. It appears to just run the script,
> ignoring the mainloop. There is no error. No stack trace. Nothing.
>
> In any other IDE, it does what I expect which is launch a small blank Tk
> window. I've seen videos of people running this same program in Wing. What
> am I missing?

Can you try it again and then send us a bug report from Wing's Help
menu, including the error log when prompted?

That may show us what is going wrong.

A common problem that has popped up several times lately is setting the
Python Executable in Project Properties (or the Configure Python dialog
in Wing 101) to a *.py file.  It should be the python.exe or python
interpreter executable you want to use with your code.  You can set the
main debug file from the Debug menu, Project Properties, or by right
clicking on the file in the Project tool.

wingware.com