[wingide-users] Problem with "pandas" on Mac OS X Lion

Trevor T tsnipez at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 11:32:37 EST 2014

Hi everybody,

As a long-time Wing fan, I have been struggling lately how to solve an
issue I keep having when trying to import the "pandas" module (
http://pandas.pydata.org/ ) in either the Python shell or my projects on my
Max OS X Lion machine.

This is what a typical import in the shell looks like:
********************
import pandas
cannot import name hashtableTraceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Applications/WingIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/src/debug/tserver/_sandbox.py",
line 1, in <module>
    # Used internally for debug sandbox under external interpreter
  File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pandas-0.13.0_395_gef55e60-py2.7-macosx-10.9-intel.egg/pandas/__init__.py",
line 16, in <module>
    from . import hashtable, tslib, lib
ImportError: cannot import name hashtable
********************

The strange thing is that this error only occurs within WingIDE. If I open
up a terminal, launch Python, and then import pandas - everything works
smoothly and no error occurs.

Now after some Googling, I'm not the first to run into this error but it
appears I am the first to run into it within Wing.  Here is a StackOverflow
thread describing the problem: http://dr.tl/0e180 - the thing is they seem
to have been having the problem within plain old python, instead of just
Wing, and it was resolved by just changing the directory from the pandas
source directory.  To my knowledge, I'm not in the pandas source directory
within the default python shell in Wing or any of my projects.  So I'm not
sure how this relates to the Wing configuration?

Now admittedly, I haven't compiled pandas myself, and instead am relying on
other composite packages.  I have tested both "anaconda" and
"ScipySuperPack" with the same results.

Any ideas?  Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thank you!
-Trevor