[wingide-users] Working with frameworks that dynamically import

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Dec 18 14:37:22 EST 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:06:25 Wingware Support via wingide-users
wrote:
> However, from
> http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.10/extensiondev/#ext-import-transition it
> sounds like the flask.ext form of import is a transitional hack to allow
> extensions to move away from the old namespace approach without
> affecting users (because those users may end up with a mix of old or new
> packaging for extensions on different installations).
>
> This seems to imply that "from flask_foo import bar" is a valid way to
> import an extension that's completed the transition to the new model.

Ah, just found this here: http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.10/api/#extensions

"""
flask.ext
This module acts as redirect import module to Flask extensions. It was added
in 0.8 as the canonical way to import Flask extensions and makes it possible
for us to have more flexibility in how we distribute extensions.
"""

So, it seems you *should* use flask.ext. I may skip it anyway. :)

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A