[wingide-users] Wing IDE 5.0 beta8 released

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Sep 29 15:42:25 MDT 2013

Hi guys,

I would like to express a big congratulation and my admiration for
this huge step forward.

Having tested all Wing 5 betas before, this is really a great version
and IMO can become a release candidate.

Complete replacement of the Gui framework is a huge undertaking.
At the same time, Wingware contributed a lot of fixes for PySide, to
make it even possible to run a sophisticated app like Wing Ide on it.

I think it was the right move to do this transition, and the right time.
There are for sure a lot of things that are more important from the user's
POV, and Wing is surely moving towards features and some re-designs.

When I think of last PyCon US, I saw at least 50% Mac developer
notebooks, so
my subjective feeling is that version 5 will give Wing a better position
in the market which then generates more resources to move on with
enhancements.

cheers and congratulations again - Chris

On 26.09.13 21:14, Wingware wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've just released Wing IDE 5.0 beta8.
>
> Changes made since beta7 include:
>
> * Support for Python 3.4 alpha2
> * Windows installers are now signed
> * Many keyboard navigability improvements
> * Use correct file and directory dialogs
> * Fix checkboxes in lists in preferences
> * Fix memory leak that could lead to slow typing response
> * Show string truncation indicator and correctly display huge values
> in Watch tool
> * Avoid crash after editing values in Stack Data
> * Several auto-completion and auto-editing improvements
> * Fix default buttons and tab order in dialogs
> * Fix popup windows when more than one monitor is in use
> * Fix failure to handle non-ascii characters in the GUI
> * Many other bug fixes
>
> For details see
> http://wingware.com/pub/wingide/prerelease/5.0.0-b8/CHANGELOG.txt
>
> A summary of new features in Wing 5:
>
> * Redesigned GUI based on Qt and PySide
> * Native GUI on OS X (and better overall OS-native look and feel)
> * Tools and editors can be dragged around
> * Toolbar and editor and Project context menus are configurable
> * Optional mode that opens different sets of files in each editor split
> * Sharable color palettes and syntax highlighting configurations
> * Auto-editing is on by default (except some operations that have a
> learning curve)
> * Named file sets
> * Sharable launch configurations
> * Named entry points
> * More control over unit testing environment
> * Lockable editor splits
> * Initial preferences dialog for new users
> * Support for Python 3.4
>
> There are details at http://wingware.com/wingide/5.0beta8
>
> The above also includes a list of the known bugs, information on
> reporting bugs,
> compatibility notes, and links for downloading and installing.
>
> This release is quite usable, but please keep in mind that you
> probably will
> run into some problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Stephan Deibel
> Wingware | Python IDE
> Advancing Software Development
>
> www.wingware.com
> Wing IDE users list
> http://wingware.com/lists/wingide

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023