[wingide-users] wingide-users Digest, Vol 113, Issue 14

Jeff Vahue jvahue at knowlogicsoftware.com
Sun Sep 29 10:41:03 MDT 2013

Fry - if Python is "not a great language" why are you using it - it must
provide some value to you?  Yes __str__, __repr__ can do horrible things
from the IDE point of view (if object references are circular things can get
really bad), but the user may have a valid reason why they use these
constructs.  I have a log converter that sucks in a dynamically changing set
of logs - each log is a class that has a __rep__ function so I can just call
that to "convert" the binary struct content to the human form (I could have
used my own function for this but when I started it seemed like a reasonable
idea).  I know that when I look at the log file header in the debugger is
will be huge and maybe the debugger doesn't like it.  I believe that is what
Wingware is saying - this is not Python's fault.

It is nice to see a little bit more conciliatory tone in this last email but
I feel bad for the Wingware guys having to deal with your comments and act
responsibly in their answers to you.

Sorry everyone I'm sure this is not the venue for this but I get annoyed
reading these "know it" all comments from people who don't sound like they
know it all.  Anyone that develops software knows most things are a tradeoff
(there are a million ways to skin a cat) so when discussing why you think
your ideas are better you should always begin with an attempt to understand
the other guys point of view on the problem, and not come in "guns blazing"
(which I thought "Fry's" first message did).  Just because you use their
tool does not mean they have to implement every idea you ever had about what
an IDE should be.  Maybe some of your ideas are great and you should present
them for their review, then let them decide what to do - that is until you
buy the company and become the Supreme Overlord of development.

Jeff Vahue
90 Annawon Ave.
Wrentham, MA. 02093
508-404-0067
www.knowlogicsoftware.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
ADDRESSEES. It may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, copying or distribution of
the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If received in error,
please promptly notify the sender and delete the original and all copies
from your system.