[wingide-users] viewing return value at end of function

Mitchell L Model dev at software-concepts.org
Tue Sep 10 18:11:23 EDT 2013

While stepping through a function, after stepping over a return statement, Wing stops, displays an indicator line under the return statement, and shows the return value in the Stack Data tool, which is nice. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to get at that value other than from the Stack Data tool. In particular, it doesn't have a name that can be used from within the Debugger Tool or Watch Tool. When the value is a huge string, I can't figure out how to see its value. Any ideas?

The only way I know to deal with this is to assign a name to the return value and in a separate statement return that value, then I can stop at the return where I can use that name. This is awkward because it means I have to change my code just to see a return value, and this usually means restarting execution because I wouldn't usually know in advance where I would want to see a return value.