[wingide-users] Could Wing 5 gain some PyQt awareness?

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 16:24:06 EDT 2013

When debugging a PyQt4 program it is something
of a handicap that the Stack Data display does not
show the actual text contents of a QString.

If I create a QString in the interpreter window,
it clearly has a __repr__() value:

    qs = QString('xyz')
    qs
    PyQt4.QtCore.QString(u'xyz')

However in the Stack Data, Value column, a QString
(like all PyQt4/Qt objects) expands into an
interminable list of class members none (?)
of which contain the text value.

This has caused me often to have to insert a
debugging statement like
    dbg = unicode(theString)
just in order to be able to actually see the
string the code is building.

It would be great if there were some way to
restrict the "Value" column to the simple __repr__()
display string.

Thanks,
Dave Cortesi