[wingide-users] Python versions, paths, envt; IDE vs command line

Graham Wideman initcontact at grahamwideman.com
Wed Sep 4 19:03:48 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

I think my brain has finally exploded trying to work with multi versions of Python, let's say 2.7.x, 3.3.x, and Anaconda (2.7.x, with a bunch of libraries).

I sorely need a concise doc that lays out how to do this right with minimal fumbling.

What paths, batch-files/scripts and configuration files etc do I need to put in place to switch smoothly between these projects, both on the command line, and in WingIDE?  It seems to me such a scheme needs to attend to:

-- "Permanent" OS PATH and other environment variables -- This should not require ad hoc changing. I suspect this should be minimal, maybe just enough to find...

-- Scripts to invoke shell with PATH set for particular installation of Python?

-- ... but with variants for environment variables that prepare for different sys.path for different projects? (Or for that matter, to launch the specific python scripts in question?)

-- ... and how to coordinate all that with WingIDE, so that (a) WingIDE sees the Python installation it needs internally, and (b) so that for a specific project it finds the right source files for code navigation and completion and (c) so it configures the right environment for debugging...

-- And have the configuration for a project managed in one place, respected by both the command line and WingIDE.

I need to know how to do this on Windows and on Linux. (Separately -- I'm not trying to make a project hosted on Linux also run or work in the IDE via file sharing on Windows, or vice versa. Though that would be useful too.)

I am hoping there's a nice doc out there somewhere that spells all this out! Thanks!

-- Graham