[wingide-users] Feature request: contextual search or "close to" search operator

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Oct 17 11:41:07 MDT 2013

Anthony Floyd wrote:
> Something I'd love to see in Wing: contextual search.
>
> Often I'll want to search for Term A but only when it's within the
> same line or n lines of Term B. Sort of like a "close to" operator.
>
> Our main codebase is nearing 300k lines of Python, and keeping track
> of where everything is has become challenging. But sometimes a "Search
> in Files" returns way too many hits. A contextual search would go a
> long way in helping.

It's not quite the same thing but in Wing 5 you can create a File Set
from the set of files in the Search in Files result area, using the Name
Result File Set item in the Options menu, then do another search on that
file set by selecting it from the Look In menu. So "close to" is defined
as "in the same file", which may not be fine grained enough, but I
thought it might help in some cases.