[wingide-users] WingIDE type-hinting status?

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Nov 25 09:19:20 MST 2013

On 11/25/13 1:49 AM, Graham Wideman wrote:
> (Sent again due to using wrong From address -- doh!)
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd appreciate an update on the current state-of-play regarding type hinting, or any methods for improving the IDE's ability to autocomplete in common cases where, with vanilla code, it seems not able to do so.
>
> The commonest cases that I seem to encounter are:
> ----------
> 1. Within a function, autocompletion for objects passed as arguments to the function.
>
> 2. for item in iterable:   autocomplete for someobj.
> ----------
>
> I do realize that the IDE recognizes:
>    assert(isinstance(item, type))
>
> ... but it sure would be nice to avoid that.

The type inference engine is very much the same as in Wing 4.  Now that
Wing 5 is out and the transition to qt is complete, we hope to get back
to improving the inference engine.  The two cases you cite are probably
the most common.

Wing will draw autocompletion info from a live debug process so it often
helps to run to a breakpoint and then leave the debugger running while
editing.

Cheers,