[wingide-users] Message window timestamp (was Debug I/O window...)

Graham Wideman initcontact at grahamwideman.com
Tue Nov 19 16:59:27 MST 2013

(Followup to thread Debug I/O window stops receiving output. This current email is about the Messages window, not the Debug I/O window.)

Hi John,

Regarding the IDE Message window: Fair enough that you consider some of the error-log content to be a distraction for regular users, and that those details should not be shown in the IDE.

Nonetheless, I really would favor adding the timestamp to the left of the message window, like it is in the error-log.  As it stands, the message window tends to contain long sequences like this:

-------------------
Debugger: Failed to read shared launch config file [...]
Debugger: Failed to read shared launch config file [...]
Debugger: Listening for back-connection
Debugger: Connected to debug process
Debugger: Debug process running; pid=3036 [0 modules loaded]
Debugger: No debug process / not listening for connections
Debugger: Failed to read shared launch config file [...]
Debugger: Failed to read shared launch config file [...]
Debugger: Listening for back-connection
Debugger: Connected to debug process
Debugger: Debug process running; pid=6968 [0 modules loaded]
Debugger: No debug process / not listening for connections

... in which the only distinction between iterations is the pid, which has probably disappeared by the time of taking a look at the Messages window.  Even more disorienting if you use the "Show Messages" filter, where it's harder to judge how far back in time a particular line is.

Admittedly, the Messages window is a relatively subsidiary feature. However it does help to understand "what just happened?" or "what sequence of things led to the current state?". In that situation, a timestamp really helps to clarify what happened.

Thanks,

-- Graham