[wingide-users] disappearing Debug I/O output

Mitchell L Model dev at software-concepts.org
Tue Nov 19 17:08:58 MST 2013

I have been frustrated by disappearing I/O for more than a couple of years. It is a problem that seems to come and go and mutate while it's away. I keep thinking it's gone, then the problem shows up again. I have experimented extensively and have some suggestions.

To remedy the situation, try the following until one works:
1. Make sure you only have 1 Debug I/O tool among your various windows.
2. If you have 1 and it isn't showing output, close it and open another one.
3. If opening a new one doesn't help, kill the new one and open a Debug I/O tool by itself from the Tools menu.
4. If that doesn't help, exit and restart Wing.

There are other ways to handle this.

A simple tip that may be too obvious, but maybe it didn't occur to you -- if you are really desperate to see output at a certain point of your program and it isn't appearing in Debug I/O, put a breakpoint there, select the call to print and execute the evaluate-sel-in-debug-probe command documented in section 20.2). It only has keybindings in a couple of personalities, but you can bind it to whatever makes sense to you. Since (I think) it's not on any of the menubar menus or the popup contextual menu [*** NOTE TO Wing tech support: is this true? Why? ***], you might not be aware of it. (There are evaluation commands on the Debug menu, but only to evaluate in the Python shell, which is not the same thing.)

Perhaps the most effective approach is to have just one Debug I/O and keep it in its own window. That setup makes sense anyway, though of course it isn't the only way you might want things arranged.

Finally, you might want to send your output to an "external I/O console" -- see section 12.9.0 of the documentation.