[wingide-users] brace-match

Mitchell L Model dev at software-concepts.org
Tue Jul 16 12:09:10 EDT 2013

Over the years I've had several email discussions with Wing IDE Support about moving up by enclosing structure in an editor, roughly equivalent to Emacs's backward-up-list. That is, if the cursor is inside a list, for example, the command should select the list. Repeated commands should select enclosing lists. And it should work for pairs of parentheses, brackets, and braces. Somehow these discussions never got around to mentioning the command brace-match. This command does more or less what I was looking for. Ideally I would like it to work for single and double quotes, but it doesn't.

I found the command by accidentally hitting its binding and being perplexed about what just happened. Fortunately I knew what key combination I had just typed, so I could use describe-key-briefly to find the command to which the key is bound. (The binding differs according to the personality you use -- see the Editor Commands documentation.) It's wonderful! Don't know how I missed it for the many years I have been using Wing IDE.

By the way, note that this is NOT the edit.auto-brace-match preference, which simply turns on highlighting of matching braces.