[wingide-users] Shift-return -- feature/bug

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Thu Feb 28 12:47:49 EST 2013

I've noticed a feature/bug -- if I hit the return key while the shift
key is depressed, wing puts a new line *BEFORE* the current line and
moves the typing focus to its end.

I guess maybe this is a feature, maybe it helps some typists, but it
*KILLS* (and annoys) me, because it does the wrong thing while I'm
typing a method definition.

I generally type the definition ("def doSomething(self, some
parameter)", then type ":", then CR (the auto-indent happens), then
start a docstring with triple-quote ("""). I'm a touch-typist, and
perhaps over time I've gotten sloppy/lazy, and so I often just hold down
the shift key (needed for the close paren, the colon, and each of the
triple-quote characters) starting at the close paren that ends the
parameter list.

This behavior starts my docString ABOVE the method it pertains to --
exactly wrong.

If this is a feature, is there an easy way to turn it off? If it's a
bug, perhaps it can get fixed. It's just an annoyance, but still ... is
there a context where this does something useful?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Stambaugh