[wingide-users] Source code browser

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Feb 1 08:19:46 EST 2013

Adrian Klaver wrote:
> It can't be unusual to have a source directory and then have a package
> installed in site or dist -package, so how do people handle that?
>
> In the meantime I removed the package from site-package and the removed
> some of the duplication. Now what I see is this:
>
> dir A <--- In source assistant, no path
>    file a
>    file b
> dir A <-- In source assistant a path to its location in the source dir
>    file a
>    file b
>
> The files in either case point to the same path.
> Not sure if it is related to the below in PYTHONPATH pulled from WingIDE
> error-log:
>
>   PYTHONPATH [u'/home/aklaver/software_projects/greenhouse_app',
> u'', ..
>
> The first listing is the project root. The project files live in the
> project root, could that be the problem? It is double counting the
> project directory?

If the effective current directory ('', which can be set with Debug >
Initial Directory project property and defaults to project location) is
the same as /home/aklaver/software_projects/greenhouse_app then maybe
it's leading to duplication somehow.

This would be a bug, however.  Contrary to what I wrote yesterday, the
Source Browser doesn't look at Python Path but only what's in the
project.  That is why it shows one entry for each copy of a file/class.

Given that, omitting site-packages from the Project view should solve
the problem w/o actually removing the site-packages on disk.  Doing this
should also make Search in Files w/ Project Files and Open From Project
and other project-based features more useful and reduces the chances of
opening the wrong file to edit.

Sorry, somehow I didn't think this through entirely yesterday and got
confused into thinking Python Path is used.

If that doesn't help w/ removing the duplication in Source Browser
please let me know.  I am not seeing in the code how duplicate Python
Path entries could result in duplicate Source Browser entries but I can
take a closer look if you find that is indeed the cause.