[wingide-users] auto-select explanation

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Dec 9 12:31:56 MST 2013

On 12/9/13 2:00 PM, Mitchell L Model wrote:
> The documentation of the editor commands describes three commands that turn on "auto-select", but I cannot find any description of what auto-select does. Experimentation led to confusion -- I can see in the status line at the bottom of the window that the editor is in fact in some kind of auto-select mode when I press the appropriate key, but I don't understand what it is doing when in that state. I would like an explanation of start-select-char, start-select-line, and start-select-block.

These modes select characters, blocks (or rectangles of characters), or
lines when the cursor is moved.  You can also enter them via the Edit ->
Selection Mode menu.  Escape clears any selection mode.

To try these modes out, enter one of them and then start using the arrow
keys to move the cursor around.

Cheers,