[wingide-users] Coredump in debugger

Tobias tobiash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:22:26 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Wing IDE Support <support at wingware.com>wrote:

> On 8/26/13 12:03 PM, Tobias wrote:
>
>> While debugging an application in Wing5 (b6 - rev 29601) on Ubuntu
>> (uname -a = Linux ubuntu 3.5.0-34-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 6
>> 20:18:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) and looking at a
>> larger data structure under "Stack Data", wing5 always dumps core when I
>> attempt to look at a specific item. I can see the messages below in the
>> ~/.wingide5/error-log. Anything I can do about this?
>>

> Could you enable Internal Debug Logging via Debugger -> Diagnostics
> Preferences and send the output to support at wingware.com?

The force is strong with this John Jedi. Remotely the force you used to
make the problem disappear!

After sending the message I extracted a portion of the responsible code to
a separate module and now when try to recreate the issue I can't. My guts
tell me that it had to do with calling a utf-8 module from a non-utf-8
module: one module specified "unicode_literals" and "coding: utf-8" where
the calling module was plain ASCII. But as I said, I can't reproduce it.

Any reason why we should not constantly be running with Internal Debug
Logging enabled in a beta build?

Thanks - Tobias