[wingide-users] Bug in Wing IDE: can't debug program with cyrillic characters in filename

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Sep 11 15:34:50 EDT 2012

Denis Kirienko wrote:
> I want to report about old bug in Wing IDE, when filename (or full
> path) of source file contains cyrillic letters (or, may be, other
> non-latin characters).
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. You must use python-3. Python version 2 is not affected.
>
> 2. Filename (or full path) of source file must contains cyrillic
> letters (may be, other non-latin characters, I didn't test
> non-cyrillyc alphabets).
> In the given example full file name is "/tmp/абв.py". "абв" is first
> three letters (lowercase) of russian alphabet. Here is this three
> letters:
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/430/index.htm
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/431/index.htm
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/432/index.htm
>
> 3. You must run the program using "Start / Continue" command (or
> pressing F5). When running program without debugging, all is correct.
>
> As the result, the debugger can't start. You can see output of the
> debugger at the attached screenshot.
>
> Bug is reproducible at Windows and Linux.

Thanks, I've reproduced this and fixed it for Wing 4.1.9+

If you want to try out the fix with Wing 4.1.8-2 you could replace the
file bin/wingdb.py in your Wing installation with the attached file (but
save a copy of the old one just in case).  This probably isn't quite the
final form of the fix but I think it will solve what you're seeing and
works w/ otherwise unaltered Wing 4.1.8-2.