[wingide-users] problems using version control with git

Lynn Oliver raycores at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 16:12:36 EDT 2012

I'm an individual developer trying to use, git with Wing IDE on OSX.  For each project all of my files are in a single directory tree, and I initialize the repository by executing 'git init' from the terminal in the root folder.  Then in Wing IDE I add each file that I want to track, and from time to time I do Commit Project.

Sometimes this works, but much more commonly I will get the error:' fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): git'

I can go to the terminal and execute 'git commit' with no problems.  Preferences has git set to always active, and the executable path is exactly the same I get from the terminal from 'which git'.

Any ideas how I might track down the problem?  This happens on different, entirely separate projects.

A further oddity: I sometimes run Wing IDE on a Windows VM, accessing the same source code on the OSX system.  In that case, while the program is executing it will sometimes show the 'fatal: Not a git repository...' error in the Debug I/O window.

Does accessing the source files from Windows somehow confuse Wing IDE?

Thanks for any help,
Lynn