[wingide-users] Improving Wingware workflow

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Sun Oct 14 13:08:51 EDT 2012

On 10/12/12 8:01 PM, Christopher Fry wrote:
> What I am proposing is a way to work that was common on the Lisp Machine,

There are a number of good ideas here and we plan to build more support
for interactively changing a program without restarting a process after
Wing 5 is out.  Interestingly, many of the requests for this come from
scientific / numerical programmers who are coming from Matlab and
similar environments for working with data.

My thinking is to add this sort of interactive functionality as an
option; Wing will continue to support the debug-edit-debug process that
many developers are used to.  One thing to keep in mind is that the
Python runtime has limited support for code reloading and that any such
environment will need to work within the context of the CPython vm can do.

Our priority right now is on the port to qt for Wing 5.  I can't give a
timeline for Wing 5 now, but we are working on it.  After that is
released, we'll explore what can be done to improve Wing's interactive
development support.