[wingide-users] [OSX] warning re. strange modifier key behavior

Mitchell L Model dev at software-concepts.org
Fri May 25 09:55:13 MDT 2012

The following behavior has been in WingIDE for a long time
(I'm using Professional, so not sure it applies to the lesser versions.) It took me a while to figure out, and I think at the time I sent a message to this group about it. (It would have been 1-2 years ago.)
With the increasing popularity of Apple computers as development platforms it's worth reminding OS X users of this glitch:
When XQuartz is already running when you start Wing, it may change the X11 modifier key bindings.

(I'm not sure whether it reverts them to an X11 default or to its own idea of what the bindings should be. I don't think any preference settings in either X11 or Wing affect this.)

The way to see the existing X11 modifier map is to type the following into an xterm:
xmodmap
Given  contents of my .Xmodmap, it is easy to see when Wing has screwed up the modifiers: either mod1 or mod2 shows three bindings and the other shows 1. The fix to restore your bindings is what is typically automatically done when X11 starts (or running a script with the same effect):
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

Modifier mappings are set through your .Xmodmap file, which X11 processes at startup,  or equivalent command-line invocations of xmodmap., Modifier mappings are done with lines like
add Mod1 = Meta_L Meta_R
You must coordinate the xmodmap settings with the Wing setting "Global X11 alt key" in the Keyboard tab of the User Interface preference.

Personally, I set things up so that option as meta and and command is alt, because that corresponds to how I have always used Emacs on Macs. I use Emacs keybindings in Wing, with the global X11 Alt key set to command. This gives me the standard Wing meta-key bindings on option, and the ability to add my own alt- bindings triggered with the command key. This does interfere with the use of the command key for X11 commands, which is not important to me and which I handle with other mechanisms.