[wingide-users] Backspace at end of class goes back to beginning

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue May 22 09:30:36 MDT 2012

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I've noticed that ever since I upgraded to Wing Pro 4 there's a weird
> little "bug" or feature that wasn't in the 3.2 series where if I use
> the class snippet (which I like) and I go to the end of the class, if
> I press backspace so I can get all the way unindented to start a new
> class or definition, my cursor jumps to the beginning of the class
> line. So if I have something like:
>
> class TestClass(object):
>
> And hit backspace at the end of the snippet that's inserted, my cursor
> ends up between the ending brace and the semi-colon. This is pretty
> annoying and I'm not sure how that's a helpful place to be. I'm on
> Windows 7 with Wing Pro 4.1.6-1 (rev 26713). The workaround is to just
> select the space and start typing.

Thanks, I just replicated this and released patch 01 for Wing 4.1.6 to
fix it.  You can get it with Check for Updates in the Help menu.

You may also want to use the Tab key to move to the end of snippets when
you are done entering fields, particularly in this case.  Most of the
predefined snippets have a (hopefully) convenient final resting place
that's the last tab stop.  Data entry mode also exits at that point, so
it's less ambiguous what some of the operations (tabbing, indent/outdent
region, and a few others) should do.  Data entry mode also exits if the
caret leaves the snippet's bounds but in this case you were still within
it, at the very last character.

Thanks for reporting this,