[wingide-users] Wing can't see function definition in same file?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Mon May 21 11:11:32 MDT 2012

On Monday, May 21, 2012, Wingware Support elucidated thus:
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > So, I have a file with this (greatly simplified):
> >
> > def function1(some, params, here):
> >      some_code
> >
> > def function2(some, other, params):
> >      function1(my, params, here)
> >
> > When I am editing the call to function1, Wing says
> >
> > Symbol: function1
> >
> >   Cannot determine type
> >
> > But if I Ctrl-click on my call to function1, it takes me right to
> > the function definition, so it knows what it is and where it is.
> > I've reanalyzed the file, and closed and open the file.
> >
> > What else can I try that could make it show the function
> > definition?
>
> It sounds like our analysis of the file is hosed for some reason.
> Does it clear the problem if you right-click on the file and select
> "Reanalyze File"?  If not, is it a file you can send us try to try
> here?

Thanks for the reply.  What I discovered later was that I had left that
file in a paused state during debug, and apparently had added that
function while the debug was paused. I then went about my business
programming, and that's when I couldn't "see" the definition. Once I
stopped the debug process, WingIDE properly showed my the definition in
the code tool.

I did click "reanalyze file" and closed the file and opened it, but it
still didn't "see" the function until I clicked "stop."

Whether or not this is a bug, or expected behavior is up to you, I
guess.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK