[wingide-users] Setting break points in Python file launched by os.execvpe

Roger House rhouse at sonic.net
Thu Mar 15 13:18:29 MDT 2012

I'm working with StoryText, an open source program for automated testing
of Python gui's.  StoryText is launched with a Python file P.py as
parameter, and P is run under control of StoryText so that button
presses, keystrokes, etc., can be recorded.  When P terminates,
StoryText launches a component N.py which displays a dialog for the user
to wrap things up.  N is launched by a call of os.execvpe.

Unfortunately, when I run StoryText under Wing, N is failing.  The
dialog is displayed briefly, disappears, and N dies.  When not run under
Wing, everything is fine.  So I'm trying to investigate what's going on
in N when running under Wing.

The problem I'm encountering is how to set breakpoints in N.  I've
opened N.py in Wing and set breakpoints in N.py and then run StoryText
under Wing.  N.py is launched via os.execvpe, runs, and terminates.  But
the breakpoints set in it are ignored.
I should note that N.py is not part of the Wing project.

I would appreciate any input on how to get control of N.py under Wing.

Roger House