[wingide-users] Popen problem on osx

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Mar 7 15:54:21 MST 2012

On 3/7/12 3:46 PM, Rod Morison wrote:
> I have a code that uses subprocess.Popen to spawn a daemon (I don't
> need to debug into that daemon). However, it looks like under wing
> debug it's re-execing the original program invocation, I see two
> identical wingdb.py command lines in ps after the Popen.
>
> Does wing on osx do something with the subprocess module?
>
> Works fine from command line on osx, and fine on wing on windows 7.

Wing tries to make sure there's an orderly shutdown and it won't debug
the subprocess.  I don't know if what you're seeing is explainable by
the fact that Popen does fork and exec and between the two you do have
two copies of the same process running (w/ the exception of what return
value fork returned).  This may work a bit differently on Windows,
although I'm not remembering the details of these internals at the moment.

If it's just what ps reports it can probably be safely ignored.  If
you're seeing actual problems w/ debugging, can you send us a simple
test case that shows the problem?