[wingide-users] Source Browser?

Wingware info at wingware.com
Mon Jun 4 10:16:02 MDT 2012

Lee Gramling wrote:
> What do I set in wings to have the source browser load my docs when
> writing code with a new python library, (ie Maya python docs)?
>
> http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/CommandsPython/index.html

Does Wing find the library and include it in the auto-completer after
you type 'import'?  If not, you may need to ensure Wing is using the
right Python interpreter by setting Python Executable in Project
Properties and/or add to the Python Path in Project Properties.  Once
that's done, you should get completion, call tips, etc, in the
auto-completer and Source Assistant tool in Wing.

There may not be links into documentation, however.  When Wing shows
links it's for the Python standard library and a few other libraries
where we can compute the doc links for the code.  Unfortunately there
isn't a standard for how that's done (someone want to create a PEP for
this? ;-) so Wing relies on analysis of the library's code and shows the
docstrings from it.

Note that the Source Browser only shows things you have added to the
Project tool so you would need to add the Maya libraries to the project
for those to appear.  That may or may not be something you want to do.
You can use the auto-completer, Source Assistant, Goto Definition, etc
on code w/o having the library in the project.