[wingide-users] WatchPoints

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Jul 18 19:24:25 MDT 2012

Tibold Kandrai wrote:
> What I actually meant was Break-when-the-value-of-the-watched-variable-changes.
>
> In other words, if I have a global variable (I know, globals are bad practice, but the do have their place) which may be getting changed by actions in several places, I'd like to break when that variable is changed and see what (and where) it was changed from/by.

Sorry, I did misunderstand.  We don't have support for that now, but as
someone else suggested you could define a class with __setattr__ or
similar methods and set breakpoints there.  Obviously this would
probably require some changes to your code so may not be useful.

BTW to support this kind of watch well for a Python debugger the
following is needed:  http://bugs.python.org/issue5654  The status of
this is that it would probably get accepted if someone can show with
benchmarks that it would not slow Python down.  We haven't gotten back
to this.  I mention it in case someone else is motivated enough to try
to move this issue forward by providing benchmarks.