[wingide-users] Py4A coding

Eric Earnst eric at earnst.com
Mon Jul 9 22:21:36 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Wingware Support <support at wingware.com>wrote:

> Eric Earnst wrote:
>
>> I've just started playing with Python on my Android table through the
>> scripting layer.  I'm successfully communicating from Wing to the tablet
>> but with the way it is setup, I don't get autocomplete in the editor.  It
>> looks like I can create an android.pi file with the hints but before I do I
>> wanted to check to see if anybody else has already done this or found
>> another way?
>>

> If you've got the debugger working, does it work to run to a breakpoint
> and work in the live runtime state?  Both Debug Probe and the editor should
> offer correct runtime-sourced autocompletion in that case, when working in
> code that's active on the stack.
>
> Another idea, depending on what the android API is written in, is to make
> sure that it's also on the machine where Wing is running and on the path
> configured in Project Properties.  If it's an extension module then you
> would need *.pi files (either auto-generated by Wing or by some script you
> provide) but if it's *.py then a copy of it would probably get static
> analysis working for you.
>
> --
>
> Stephan Deibel
> Wingware | Python IDE
> Advancing Software Development
>
> www.wingware.com

Hi,
It doesn't work in the debugger.  You communicate between the PC python app
and the tablet over a tcp connection using remote procedure calls (as I
understand it, you first start a server running on the tablet using the
android scripting layer) so I think you just need to know the API.  Once
you get the python app working you can move it over to the tablet and
execute it there (or generate an apk to install it).

All the files (in java) are on the tablet so I think the pi file is the way
to go.  If I can get it figured out I'll upload it to the Wiki when it's
working.

Thanks,
Eric