[wingide-users] About the vi mode copy and paste

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 19 08:52:45 MST 2012

On 1/19/12 10:20 AM, Joon Ro wrote:
> It was hard to ask a question with multiple lines in convore. I will
> ask a question in the email list from now on.
>
> So I replaced the command 'paste-register' with 'paste', and
> 'move-to-register-next-move' to 'copy-selection-or-line' in keymap file.
> Firstly I used just 'copy', but it seems I need to use
> 'copy-selection-or-line' in order to get consistent behavior.

Rather than remapping these, you may just want to set the Keyboard > VI
mode Ctrl-C/X/V preference to “use for copy/cut/paste” and use those
when you're trying to access the system clipboard instead of the VI clip
registers.

> So now it is generally working. A couple of questions:
>
> 1. It seems there is no counterpart of paste-register(pos=-1) in paste
> command. Is there any way to implement this with paste?

No there isn't. I wonder if we should extend paste–register and related
commands to allow setting the system clipboard as the current register.
I don't really understand if and how VI integrates the system clipboard
with 'p'.  I could try to emulate that if someone can describe it to me.

> 2. I am actually using different keyboard layout(colemak) so I had to
> remap a lot of keys. Currently, ; key is mapped to where p key is at
> in QWERTY layout.
> I can use 'Browse-;' to do pasting, but when I mapped a command to
> 'Browse-Shift-:' or 'Browse-Shift-;', the assigned command does not work.
> Is there a bug regarding using ; key (or rather, : key) as a command key?

The key position shouldn't matter, but rather what key value is
produced.  For punctuation, you shouldn't use the Shift modifier in the
key mapping since these keys may or may not require the modifier on
different types of keyboards.  So just use Browse-: and similar.

Please let me know if this does not help.