[wingide-users] Class introspection question

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Fri Jan 13 13:11:24 MST 2012

On 1/13/2012 2:08 PM, Wingware Support wrote:
> On 1/13/12 2:16 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
>> I've been noticing lately that when I subclass something in wxPython
>> or TurboGears that Wing's introspection seems to just stop working.
>> If I have something like this:
>>
>> class MyPanel(wx.Panel)
>>
>> and put my cursor in the argument area of MyPanel, Wing isn't able to
>> tell me anything about wx.Panel except for what's in the "__init__"
>> function's argument list. This isn't very helpful. Fortunately, I can
>> just click on my wx.Panel.__init__ line farther down in the code and
>> get the help I want. On the other hand, you don't have that sort of
>> thing in TurboGears, so I'm having trouble drilling down in my code
>> to see what goes where, when. Is there a way to make Wing inspect
>> this stuff better? Thanks!
>
> Hi,
>
> It looks like the source assistant is incorrectly leaving out type
> information for wx.Panel in this context (when it is in the list of
> inherited classes).  It should presumably work the same way as
> clicking on the argument in a function or method invocation.  I will
> look into fixing that.
>
> As a workaround, does pressing F4 to go to the definition work?  You
> can then use the back button at the top left of the editor area to
> return to the class definition.

Yeah, that works for wx.Panel. It doesn't work for TurboGears. Here's an
example that doesn't work:

from tg.controllers import RestController
class SproxCaseController(RestController):

If I press F4 when I'm in the SproxCaseController, it just jumps up to
the import and highlights it. Thanks for the hint for the other one though.

- Mike