[wingide-users] Class introspection question

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jan 13 13:08:51 MST 2012

On 1/13/12 2:16 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I've been noticing lately that when I subclass something in wxPython or TurboGears that Wing's introspection seems to just stop working. If I have something like this:
>
> class MyPanel(wx.Panel)
>
> and put my cursor in the argument area of MyPanel, Wing isn't able to tell me anything about wx.Panel except for what's in the "__init__" function's argument list. This isn't very helpful. Fortunately, I can just click on my wx.Panel.__init__ line farther down in the code and get the help I want. On the other hand, you don't have that sort of thing in TurboGears, so I'm having trouble drilling down in my code to see what goes where, when. Is there a way to make Wing inspect this stuff better? Thanks!

Hi,

It looks like the source assistant is incorrectly leaving out type
information for wx.Panel in this context (when it is in the list of
inherited classes).  It should presumably work the same way as clicking
on the argument in a function or method invocation.  I will look into
fixing that.

As a workaround, does pressing F4 to go to the definition work?  You can
then use the back button at the top left of the editor area to return to
the class definition.