[wingide-users] Choice of Version Software

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Tue Jan 3 17:14:51 MST 2012

On 2012-01-03 2:42 PM, Adi J. Sieker wrote:
> If you use bitbucket.org to host your repository, then you just need to push to
> bitubcket at work and then pull at home, no need for Dropbox.

Sure. This is basically what I did back when I used Subversion. But there were
two problems with that:

1) I had to remember to do a push (commit) when I was moving from one machine
to another. Sometimes I forgot. Or if there was a problem with the network or
server, I was stuck.

2) It forced me to do a commit just because I was moving to a different machine
even tho I wasn't really at a proper spot to do a commit. I believe commits
should be done only when there is something ready to be committed.

> I never thought of using Dropbox to sync a local repository to 2 machines. That
> obviously works as well.

It would be hard to exaggerate how the use of Dropbox and Git/Hg has simplified
my workflow with my movement from one machine to another. Basically, Dropbox
takes care of the move, and that frees Git/Hg to do what it does best.

Good thoughts.

Michael