[wingide-users] Django projects

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Feb 28 10:28:52 MST 2012

Christopher Fry wrote:

> If there is a way to seach the mailing list archives, please tell me
> what it is!

There is a search box on the mailing list's page:
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide

> ___________
>
> I am using Wing IDE Pro 4.1.3 on Windows 7, 64 bit machine.
>
> I used the menu project/extensions/start Django Project
>
> as the doc had warned,
>
> there was a dialog telling me that I had to paste some text into a cmd
> prompt and
>
> execute it. THat text is:
>
> "c:\Python27\python.exe" "c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\django\bin\
> django-admin.py" createsuperuser --username=cfry
> --email=cfry1 at media.mit.edu <mailto:--email=cfry1 at media.mit.edu> --s
> ettings="justify.settings" --pythonpath="C:\Users\fry\"
>
> First I find the text odd since all the cmds have double quotes around
> them,
>
> but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

This is so they will work if there is a space in the path name.

> After executing the cmd, I get the error:
>

> Unknown command: 'createsuperuser'
> Type 'django-admin.py help' for usage.

It may be your version of Django wants you to run manage.py instead w/
the same command name.  What version of Django do you have?

> ___________________
>
> Regardless of whether or not worked,
>
> I did get a folder created for my project correctly named
>
> by filling out the dialog for creating a Django project.
>
> OK so now I'm looking at a blank Wing IDE that
>
> has in its title bar: "New project #2.wpr"
>
> Hmmm, shouldn't it say the actual name of my project?
>
> Do I have to "save as" this project?
>
> If so, should I chose the folder that was already created and
> correctly named?

Yes, save the project there or wherever you prefer to have it.  I
suppose we could assume the name and location to save it, but right now
it sets up the project in memory and expects you save it.