[wingide-users] Debugging

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Fri Oct 14 13:00:56 MDT 2011

Hi!

Today I lost some data because while running under the Wing Debugger I
did the same what I'm usually doing when running "Python -i script.py":
In the main loop (very often at a raw_input()) I hit the escape button
to stop e.g. a measurement loop and save the file at the interpreter
prompt.

I would have expected to end up in the debugger...
Unfortunately, I got the backtrace below and the interpreter
immediately exited.

This may be a bug or not - I'm not sure.
But anyway it would be nice to have an equivalent to the -i switch
where Python does not exit unless I hit the stop button.
(Just tried to add SystemExit to "Always Report", but that does not
  help.)
Also, it would be nice if "External Console Waits on Exit" would
still close the window when I start a new run. Currently I'm
collecting a lot of console windows.

While we're at debugging: sometimes I need the debugger to listen
on a certain network port for remotely debugging my mobile which is
connected via USB.
But most of the time this is not connected and so the network interface
is not available and I get error messages on start-up if I don't turn
off remote debugging.
Also, when using multiple instances I need to start them in the right
ordering such that the right one can grab the network port.
Are there other people who would prefer to have the External/Remote
debugging options on a per-project basis rather than a global setting?

Regards,

Dietmar

Wing version is 4.0.4-1

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 1855,
in __CheckForConnectionRequests
KeyboardInterrupt
Traceback:
   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 4.0\bin\wingdb.py", line 599, in <module>
     main()
   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 4.0\bin\wingdb.py", line 546, in main
     orig_sys_path)
   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 4.0\bin\wingdb.py", line 413, in
DebugFile
     server.Run(filename, sys.argv)
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 852,
in Run
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\dbgserver.pyc", line 856,
in RunFile
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\dbgserver.pyc", line 2808,
in __RunFileInMain
   File "Script.py", line 33, in <module>
     raw_input("Press Enter for %s"%I)
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 464,
in readline
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 453,
in read
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 1222,
in WaitForCommand
   File "C:\src\ide\bin\2.7\src/debug/tserver\netserver.pyc", line 1871,
in __CheckForConnectionRequests