[wingide-users] Problem debugging multithreaded paster-based app

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Oct 10 18:34:20 MDT 2011

On 10/10/11 6:30 PM, Duddy, John wrote:

> I’m trying to debug Galaxy, a server-based tool that uses paster,
> SQLAlchemy, etc, and lots of custom code.
>
> The problem I’m having is that almost always, the debugger seems to
> prevent background threads in the app from running. There is code
> using a pool of threads and a queue to do work, and when I run under
> the debugger, those background threads block indefinitely.
> Unfortunately, I need to debug those threads.
>
> The threads serving web requests run fine, and I can debug those all
> day long. I have tried disabling Psycho, but it had no impact other
> than slowing things down.
>
> Is this an issue others have run into (and is there a workaround)?

By default Wing will stop all threads if any thread is stopped. You can
change this by using wingdbstub to initiate debug and the
SetDebugThreads() call on the debugger API. This is documented here:

http://wingware.com/doc/debug/debugging-externally-launched-code

Please let me know if that does not help.