[wingide-users] Problem debugging multithreaded paster-based app

Duddy, John jduddy at illumina.com
Mon Oct 10 16:30:45 MDT 2011

I'm trying to debug Galaxy, a server-based tool that uses paster, SQLAlchemy, etc, and lots of custom code.

The problem I'm having is that almost always, the debugger seems to prevent background threads in the app from running. There is code using a pool of threads and a queue to do work, and when I run under the debugger, those background threads block indefinitely. Unfortunately, I need to debug those threads.

The threads serving web requests run fine, and I can debug those all day long. I have tried disabling Psycho, but it had no impact other than slowing things down.

Is this an issue others have run into (and is there a workaround)?

John Duddy
Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Illumina, Inc.
9885 Towne Centre Drive