[wingide-users] Feature request: manual inline type annotation

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Sun Oct 2 11:29:27 MDT 2011

On 10/1/11 4:06 PM, Gene Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> + 1 on better auto complete/code intelligence.
>
> I love Wing.  I enjoy using it.  It rocks!!!  Long live Wing!!
>
> Now, I have been forced to use PyCharm for a client recently, and have
> concluded it's really good, too.   PyCharm can do this without
> littering the source with isinstance().

There are cases that PyCharm picks up that Wing doesn't and the reverse
may be true; I really don't know the full extent of what PyCharm can and
can't pick up.  We do know what the limitations of Wing's static
analyzer are and are planning on addressing them, though there will
always be cases where types cannot be determined through static analysis
given the dynamic nature of Python.

Wing also will pull data from a live debug process, which is extremely
useful when types are not determined through static analysis.

Cheers,