[wingide-users] Turn off the "don't let me type" setting?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Nov 15 13:02:07 MST 2011

On 11/15/11 2:53 PM, Michael Hipp wrote:
> I really like auto editing, but when it won't let me type characters
> in a line it quickly becomes unhelpful.
>
> I have these two lines:
>     charges.widths = [43.57, 59.14, 41.9, 154.72, 24.67, 80.25, 45.77]
>     payments.widths = [43.57, 59.14, 56.35, 215.3, 80.25, 45.77]
>
> At the moment I just want to add some spaces in that line at various
> places so I can line up those columns of numbers and see what is what.
> It won't let me add spaces anywhere.
>
> For the moment I took it to an outboard editor, but I'd prefer Wing
> just not be quite so helpful.
>
> So can we change auto editing to *never* prevent the user from typing
> something they want to type? I didn't see anything like this in the
> Auto-Editing Configuration.
>
> 4.1.1 on Win7.

Right now if you have "Auto-enter spaces" enabled (it should be off by
default), then Wing enforces PEP8 spacing.  You may want to turn it off
if you want to use other types of spacing.  I will try to add an
"enforce PEP8" option that you can disable that enforcement
independently of auto-entering spaces.