[wingide-users] Auto-Edit feature

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:08:33 MDT 2011

Yeah, I turned it on too and really like it. My only complaints so far?

If you type this, and are about to call foobar():

    def foobar(spam=1, eggs=2 ham=3):
        pass

    foobar(

As I type "foobar(", Wing inserts all the arguments even if I immediately
hit the ) button. It seems like if I keep typing, the auto-inserted
arguments should just disappear. If I want them, I'll start using the arrow
keys to tweak what Wing inserted, but if I don't want the auto-inserted
arguments, I'll just start typing more letters or a close-paren.

Something else that throws me off is the auto-insertion of closing bracket
characters when I'm editing an existing line. So for example, if the | is
my cursor:

    x = {|

But say I'm editing a line like this:

   x = [1, 2, 3]

And I'm turning it into a line like this:

   x = {'foo': [1, 2, 3]}

When I move my cursor and add the { character, it looks like this:

    x = {}[1, 2, 3]

It seems like if the cursor is in the middle of a line, it shouldn't add a
closing bracket because it doesn't know what I'm going to do yet.

But in general, I rather like auto-editing.