[wingide-users] Mercurial and UTF-8

Harald Thingelstad harald at thingelstad.org
Fri Mar 25 13:20:38 MDT 2011

I have recently bought Wingide and it's great (of course) but I have a
few problems.

First to go is my trouble with Mercurial integration and international
characters. (I thought I saw a tip on how to improve the Vim keyboard
personality somewhere so I'll leave that for later.)

I use Mercurial as favorite for my small projects. But trying to write
commit messages in Wingide gives me trouble with the
(for me) common letters æ, ø and å.

Commits ends up failing with messages like these:
base.py
transaction abort!
rollback completed
abort: decoding near 'bort lus. æøå': 'ascii' codec can't decode byte
0xc3 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128)!

I use Debian GNU/Linux stable/sqeeze with UTF-8 configured everywhere,
so that 'ascii' codec comes up bothersome.
The python file I'm editing isn't marked with UTF-8 charset yet, but
that shouldn't be important.

Mercurial works fine from bash/command line so it isn't that big of a
problem, but... I would like to use it from time to time.

Anyone has similar problems out there?

Best wishes,
Harald Thingelstad